Saturday, September 13, 2008

Strummin' & Drummin'

This Thursday I had packed my sorry bum bum (I was having stinking thoughts all day long, just an overwhelming day and needed to get rid of it because it was giving me a stinking day) and I went to our community center down the street at 7 -9 p.m to be a part of their sing a long. Geoff was washing dishes when I left and called out to me as I was leaving, "Have fun at this strummin' and drummin' thing, I guess??!". I wasn't sure what to say because really the key to my enjoying myself was my choice. As some of you know, this place I go to once in awhile has 99% Senior Citizens. Half of them play some kind of instrument. They sit in this semi-circle facing the audience (also Sr. Citizens) with a bunch of microphones to sing into. No fancy lights here, just plain ole, sick ole flourescent lights. But the preciousness of those ole souls makes mine feel humbled. I see them singing in their used to be 'stage voices' and some of them have the beat if they can keep up with their hearing aids. But their smiles and their hearts shine through. The songs they sing often are quirky in country nature and is often where the flies in the fields probably heard them the most as they tended their farms with a sweat and a song! Often it is so funny to catch a lyric or two about love and heartbreak. Often times and in sharp contrast to what we hear today, it is a simple lyric of how 'you broke my heart' and now the cows don't moo like they used to, supper don't taste the same since you left my sweetheart to the God who gave you to me and things like that. It is so nice to go back in time through their music to a simple time where God and family meant the most to people. Now they are so hardened and stiff -necked often with songs that swear and reflect partying, drugs and glamourizing sex out side of marriage, a sorry way of life. God is maybe there in their life but when it is convenient to them. I often go to this strummin' and drummin' to humble myself and thank God for the simple things in life. Hearing this old lady that must be about 4 feet (j/k, she is shorter then I) but she packs a sweet yodel in her songs and she plays this base cello that is twice her height and weight BUT she never forgets to smile and wave at me when I sneak in through the back of the crowd. You would often find them with their guitars, mandolin, another plays the banjo, a lady and her washboard, an electric guitar (an old rider who has a harley) and more! Now imagine all of them playing at the same time! It is a blast! I have on occasion brought my tambourine and joined in the fun. (My $10 tambourine that I had brought when I went to the music store when my kids were taking Band/ Orchestra, they came with me). There are about 4 Sr. Citizens who were professional singers on the radio and one even had her own radio station! The years have shown on them but their hearts I will never forget... Thank you God for a 'time machine' to go back in time that teaches me simple joy without paying for the gas!!

No comments: