Tuesday, September 9, 2008

My First Book Club

I wish I had a pic of this book I read.
There was 6 of us tonight. I actually joined a book club with some girls at church who meet once a month! I didn't do so well in my first time. I had only been able to read 1 in a half chapters of a 13 chapter book. The host was this young cute sister with 5 kids with ages like my children were. I really enjoyed seeing them and their Daddy trying to take care of them. They had this beautiful big house in a nice subdivision. He is a bankruptcy lawyer. The book this month is about Brigham Young's 51st daughter and her precious moments having him as a father. 'Brigham Young at Home' is an endearing book and makes you appreciate the importance of having God in your family and taking leadership in your home to encourage activities to do together that shows your gratitude for God as a family. The blessing from that came as it brought her security that carried her through her years, even through tough times. But even more critical, I learned from the book is to not just endure life but it is to take time to make the little things count, that simple laughter and smiles. I liked the part in the book where he would ring a small bell 3 times and everyone would come from wherever in the house and stop what they are doing and they would all say prayers together for bedtime to thank God as a family in their parlor. I miss that so much.

I bought cold snap peas to share with everyone, so we can munch while talking around the table. I was the only one who brought something. Her sweet husband moved the COUCH from the front room to the family room for us and we didn't even use it. Tonight I realized that most people ate the whole pea pod and here I was, eating the peas and let it snap in my mouth and throw out the outside part! Meanwhile I had this big pile of opened pods and looked like the wasteful lds sister that won't be teaching anything on frugality in Relief Society. After that we spontaneously went to a sister's house 3 houses away and sang her 'happy birthday' at 9 p.m.! I suggested that for fun. Everyone thought that was a great idea so we put the snap peas in a small clear bag with a cute bow and off we went into the dark street with the stars shining brightly. She loved it!!

1 comment:

Stephen Christensen said...

You read? Just kidding. I love your experience! By the way, the pod tastes the same as the peas. EAT YOUR PODS! Okay, I love that you gave the sister down the street the rest of the peas!

Love, Lani