Tuesday, April 7, 2009

A big sister to love!

The other night I was babysitting so Lani and Steve could go to the movies for a date. Well, I was putting the girls down when Amara ran as fast as her legs could take her.

I asked Lily, "Where is she going?"

She said, "To the table".

I was so exhausted that night from work and getting up was the furthest thing from my tired legs and mind. So I asked, "What is she doing there?"

Lily replied from the hall, "She is standing on the chair."

Then I said (although I heard her) "What is she doing?" To kill time knowing I would have to get up and resolve to do just that.

Then Lily faithfully said, "She is climbing on the table."

I knew at that point I had better get her. But as quickly as I started getting up, I could hear her assuring voice to Amara saying, "It's okay Amara, I will help you get down. I will be your hero."
She quietly and carefully lifted her sister down (although her sister is almost as big as her.)

Even though I was tired I offered up the prayer of my heart to Heavenly Father in thanksgiving for a day that wasn't promised to me that I could witness such a tender moment and to be reminded of how important examples are in a family. How important that we pick our heroes so we could follow their example and enrich not only our lives but the lives of those we care about. I am sure Amara appreciated Lily as she said, "Tank you, Lolly."

1 comment:

Stephen Christensen said...

Thanks for babysitting even though you were tired. And thanks for sharing this darling story of my two little ones.